skip to main content skip to footer



History of The Parting Glass Irish Pub & Restaurant 


The Parting Glass opened on Saint Patrick's Day in 1981. It is said to be the oldest continuously run bar & restaurant in Saratoga Springs. 

Lou Rocco opened the bar formerly known as Rocco's Royal Spring Grill around 1930 when Lou first opened the bar occupied the entire 5000 sq feet. As years passed he converted the back section to occupy a union hall, plumbing shop and a carpet store with a large garage in the far back corner which is now known as the Dub-Lin Dart Hall where we now have the 2nd bar. Rocco's was a full bar and restaurant which served Italian food. They were known for their famous thin crust pizza. A wall divided the front room into two separate sections where a corner door allowed women to enter since they were not allowed on the bar side. 


The Parting Glass front room Bar was built in 1936 by Frank K. Spalt, who was a personal friend to Gerald King, who lived next door to Mr. Rocco. It was built in two months in his garage and brought into the present building in pieces. The Spalt family has a history of cabinet making dating back to 1868. The carved faces on the front of the bar represent father time as described by the carving of the four seasons, with father time carving being the central figure. The bar itself is made from tiger oak, straight grain oak and Honduras mahogany it is approximately 80 years old. Its beauty inspired the present owners to purchase the property and restore it. 


In 1981 Rocco's was purchased by Joan Desadora & family, then established as The Parting Glass Saratoga's Original Irish Pub. Three rooms offer casual pub food, live music in our stage room which has hosted multiple Grammy winners and famous Irish bands such as Alison Kraus, Mark O' Conner, Kington Trio, Bela Fleck, The Furey Brothers, Maura O' Connell, Kevin Mckrell and De Danann to name a few. The Dart Hall has nine English dart boards where we have leagues and tournaments as well as host large parties. In the 1990's The Parting Glass had the honor of being voted one of the top ten great places to toast the luck of the Irish by USA Today. 

We derive our name, "The Parting Glass" from a beautiful song and poem that wishes everyone a safe journey home after having their last drink of the night, "The Parting Glass". As we celebrate our 38th anniversary on Saint Patricks Day 2019, we are proud to be part of the continuing success of Saratoga Springs...


Slainte!